Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A day of repair

After the Veterans Day 10K, I was in an ample amount of pain in my toes, calves, quads and hips... not to mention my shoulders and neck. I didn't recover correctly after the race because I was frustrated with my time. Big mistake. Monday was a day of hurt.

But yesterday, Tuesday, was a great day! I lifted in the morning and that seemed to help stretch out the sore muscles. I do a lot of leg and back work in the gym, so that worked well for me. I did a ride in the afternoon... tempo intervals. 5 by 6-minute intervals at zone-3 / tempo pace. Pedaled strong and was able to balance out my heart rate to the appropriate zone. I'm getting better at controlling my pace. That should help me out in longer races. Averaged about 21-21.5 mph for each of the reps.

My evening run was awesome. One of the best in a long time. The bike and weights helped stretch out my legs enough so I had little or no soreness. As a result I was able to push the pace and glide up the hills at Seneca for about 8 miles. Definitely helped my confidence, which was pretty low after Sunday's race.

I feel a renewed sense of dedication to running, in due part to last night's run... it's been a while since I've had one that felt so good. I am excited for track tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment