Thursday, October 14, 2010

800s and more 800s

I checked my Krazy for Kittens calendar (that I'm using for my 10k training schedule) yesterday morning and I saw something I sort of dreaded. 10x800 w/ 300m recoveries as the track workout for Wednesday evening. That dastardly Red Fox was either trying to kill me or committed an act of running genius. I decided to accept both as reasons why he scheduled me to do this workout, he has mentioned before he wants to beat me up and he has extended help in trying to get me to 32:45 for Vet's Day 10k. Workout called for a cutdown, with the first 5 800s at 10k pace or so (2:38-40) and cut down the last 5. Start easier, get faster. 300m recoveries, which is a change from my usual 400m.

Mile warmup, started out behind Jordan to get in the 10k pace. We ran the first one a little slow, in the low 2:40s, and I broke off as I had shorter recoveries than the group. I ran pretty balanced, considering I was doing it alone!

My splits were 2:42, 2:35, 2:36, 2:37, 2:36, 2:32, 2:33, 2:30, 2:30, 2:28. So I stayed right on target, more or less, with the first 5 and cut down well with the last 5. I probably went a little fast on the last one, but I had to cut down... not cut up!

Anyway, a big confidence builder, as I felt very strong, and the last 3, although my stomach felt a little funny, did not feel forced. It felt almost as if my legs were carrying me to those times. I just went with it, and it turned out all right! A 32:45 at Vet's Day doesn't seem too unfathomable now.

2 comments:

  1. Your font cut up the second half of your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I tried to change it but it's either too big or too small, no in between. Bigger is always better.

    ReplyDelete